Managing the Ongoing Impact of COVID-19 - We are committed to welcoming volunteers where we are able to safely across Eden Valley Hospice and Jigsaw. Whilst the relaxation of restrictions in the UK is helping us to welcome volunteers back, we wish to remain cautious in our approach to ensure the continued safety of all involved. Therefore, we are currently only accepting volunteer applications for roles advertised on our website. Please find a list of current vacancies below.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Eden Valley Hospice and Jigsaw.
Volunteers are an essential part of Eden Valley Hospice and Jigsaw, Cumbria’s Children’s Hospice. We depend on contributions of time and skills so that we can continue to provide care to patients and their families.
Whether Fundraising, Retail or in the hospice itself, volunteers are a part of everything that we do.
Volunteering is a great way to meet new people and be part of a dedicated team, ensuring that the hospice continues to provide the best level of care to patients and their families. Whatever inspires you to join us, you could become part of a vibrant, friendly community that makes a real difference.
Below is a list of current volunteer vacancies. Have a look and if there’s something that catches your eye where you think you have the talent, skills and time to help, we would love to hear from you.
Click here to complete an online application form
Download Application Form
Click here to download a PDF form
Volunteer eBay Assistants in our Lonsdale St Shop
Sometimes we are lucky enough to receive donations that would sell for more on eBay than in our shops. Your role is to research prices and list and manage items for sale on our hospice eBay site.
You will provide excellent customer service and going the extra mile to ensure that our eBay department is as successful as possible to maximise income to help fund patient care.
The role would be entirely flexible in terms of working hours and days. You would be based at our Lonsdale St Shop in Carlisle.
We're looking to recruit some volunteer drivers to help transport our Jigsaw children, young adults, and Day Service users around.
Drivers would be used for a variety of needs and could include:
- A set day a week of a twice daily commitment to pick up / drop someone off for the day unit.
- Driving the minibus to get children of Jigsaw out to an activity (accompanied by staff) maybe once a month etc.
We're extremley flexible and any availability can be utilised to what would suit you, as the volunteer.
Various options can be considered in terms of the vehicle, dependant on what you would be comfortable with e.g:
- Using own car (with appropriate checks & insurance in place and the option to claim for mileage allowance).
- Driving the hospice vehicles (cars or minibus) again after all checks are in place.
If interested please complete an application form.
Volunteer Assistants in our Penrith Shop
Can you spare a few hours to help us at our popular retail shop in Penrith? We currently have vacancies for several shifts and would welcome your help.
You will be primarily serving customers and working on the shop floor.
- Saturday afternoon
- Monday afternoon
- Bookshop volunteers
You'll also meet people, make new friends, improve your skills and learn new ones, using your free time in a positive and worthwhile way.
It's also a great way to enhance your career prospects and make your CV stand out from the crowd.
No previous experience is required, just a willingness to help. Why not pop into the shop and have a chat with the Manager?
Sunday Volunteers at our Furniture Shop
Can you spare a few hours to help us at our popular furniture shop in Carlisle? We currently have vacancies for a Sunday shift and would welcome your help.
The shift would be from 10am - 4pm, however you could operate on a split shift basis from 10am - 1pm or 1pm - 4pm.
If interested please complete the form or call our Furniture shop on 01228 549473
We currently have an exciting opportunity for kitchen volunteers to support our Catering Team. We are looking for volunteers who can support between the hours of 9am and 2pm on Friday, Saturday or Sunday
Kitchen volunteers will assist the catering team in a variety of ways, including:
• Basic food preparation, including chopping vegetables/salads
• Washing up, (manually and using the dishwasher)
• Helping with basic cleaning duties and maintaining high standards of hygiene across the kitchen and dining room
If you have the ability to work as part of a team, with an enthusiastic and approachable manner, we’d love to hear from you.
All volunteers are required to complete on-line mandatory training, including food hygiene and health and safety.
As Laundry volunteer you will provide vital support to the housekeeping team by completing the daily laundry tasks, including the washing, drying and pressing of bedding and occasionally clothes.
There are two washers, two dryers, two foot operated presses and a hand iron. Laundry will mainly consist of sheets but may also include patient’s clothes (adult and children), towels and facecloths, duvets, placemats and occasionally chef’s clothes from the kitchen. Full training will be provided in the use of the equipment.
We require Laundry volunteers across all days of the week, ideally between the hours of 10.30am-3.30pm. If you are organised and have a flexible positive approach, we’d love to hear from you.
At the Hospice we have large gardens which are used by our patients and their families, areas for quiet reflection or a safe place to relax. We are looking for volunteers to help keep this area nice for our patients and also our staff who also need areas to relax.
The duties and responsibilities listed below are not intended to be exhaustive, but are set out to indicate the duties undertaken by a volunteer.
- To assist in the weekly care of the various different garden areas within the hospice grounds by undertaking general garden maintenance.
- To undertake light maintenance duties and tidying of the hospice gardens to enhance the experience of patients and visitors to the areas.
- To help maintain the gardens by planting and caring for plants and shrubs, weeding, light digging, removal of rubbish and general upkeep of the gardens.
- Following relevant safety training, to use power tools to complete some tasks such as lawn mowing.
- Help to co-ordinate when any events are hosted at the hospice.
- Help these areas when they need a ‘fresh look’ with such items as painting the garden furniture, planting.
It is preferred that the volunteers adopt a flexible approach to meet the needs of the hospice. However, the existing team tend to work one day a week and the hours can be flexible to suit whatever you can offer.
Volunteer in our Lanes Bookshop
We currently have vacancies for several volunteering shifts at our Lanes bookshop in Carlisle.
Shop volunteers needed:
- Monday morning
- Monday afternoon
- Wednesday morning
- Wednesday afternoon
- Saturday morning
- Saturday afternoon
No previous experience is required, just a willingness to help. Why not pop into the shop and have a chat with the Manager? Or give the shop a call on 01228 595881.
Volunteer in our Lonsdale Street Carlisle Shop
- We are in desperate need of a Saturday afternoon, front of house volunteer, at our Lonsdale Street Carlisle Shop. You'll meet people, make new friends, improve your skills and learn new ones, using your free time in a positive and worthwhile way.
- We are also looking for a Thursday volunteer on the shop floor, working from 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Finally, we are searching for two volunteers to help us steam items. These would be short shifts of around 1.5 - 2 hours on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.
No previous experience is required, just a willingness to help. Why not pop into the shop and have a chat with the Manager? Or give the shop a call on 01228 596640.
Facebook Marketplace Volunteer
Here at the hospice, we're donated a host of wonderful items on a weekly basis to help us raise much needed funds. We're really excited to launch our Facebook Marketplace shop and we're looking for someone to help us as we branch out into this new arena of retail.
At a time when online retail is vital to ensure the future of the hospice, your time can make a real difference to local people and their families.
Volunteer Retail Van Drivers
Our Volunteer Van Drivers and Van Driver Assistants help with stock deliveries to ensure each store can maximise income to help fund patient care. The roles will include moving and sorting of household items and general moving duties.
Volunteers need to be 25 and over to drive our vans, have a clean driving license and be physically fit.