Eden Valley Hospice provides an Outpatient Clinic which runs three days a week: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. This Clinic is an important part of the care we provide, to both patients and their families and carers.
Referrals can be made by GPs, District Nurses, the Macmillan Team, Hospice Staff, Oncology and other hospital teams. Click here for more information.
What do we provide?
- An introduction to the Palliative Care Service
- Symptom control
- Alternative to admission
- Psychological support
- Family support
- Support for Primary Health Care Teams with “Sharing of Care”
- A limited domiciliary visiting service
- A link with Oncology Service
- New patient assessment and introduction
- Day Hospice medical assessment prior to starting regularly at the Day Hospice
- Follow up appointments for patients discharged from the Adult In-Patient Unit
- Infusions (Zoledronic acid)
New patients are allocated an appointment of approximately one hour, with follow up appointments ranging from 30-60 minutes. Every effort is made to immediately inform your GP by telephone of any suggested medication changes and this is backed up with a letter. When appropriate, some patients may be admitted directly to the In-Patient Unit from the Clinic. Patients are given contact details of the Clinic for an open access self referral in the future if needed.
From the Clinic we are able to direct patients to other services when required e.g. In-Patient Unit, Day Hospice, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Lymphoedema Nurse, Massage Therapy, Hospice at Home, Spiritual Care, Counselling, Social Worker for welfare and financial advice, complementary therapies, and the Oncology Department.