Eden Valley Hospice provides an Outpatient Clinic which runs three days a week: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. This Clinic is an important part of the care we provide, to both patients and their families and carers.
Referrals can be made by General Practitioners, District Nurses, the Macmillan Team, Day Hospice, Eden Valley Hospice Ward, Oncology and other hospital teams. Click the “Make a Referral” button at the top of the page for more information.
What do we provide?
- An introduction to the Palliative Care Service
- Symptom control
- Alternative to admission
- Psychological support
- Family support
- Support for Primary Health Care Teams with “Sharing of Care”
- A limited domiciliary visiting service
- A link with Oncology Service
- New patient assessment and introduction
- Day Hospice medical assessment prior to starting regularly at the Day Hospice
- Follow up appointments for patients discharged from Eden Valley Hospice Ward
- Infusions (Zoledronic acid)
- Drainage e.g. Ascites
New patients are allocated an appointment of approximately one hour, with follow up appointments ranging from 30-60 minutes. Every effort is made to immediately inform your GP by telephone of any suggested medication changes and this is backed up with a dictated letter. When appropriate, some patients may be admitted directly to the Hospice ward from the Clinic. Patients are given contact details of the Clinic for an open access self referral in the future if needed.
From the Clinic we are able to direct patients to other services when required e.g. In-Patient Unit, Day Hospice, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Lymphoedema Nurse, Massage Therapy, Hospice at Home, Chaplaincy, Counsellor, Social Worker for welfare and financial advice, Reiki therapy, and the Oncology Department.