Test your knowledge with this month’s quiz.
1. October is our tenth month of the year. What number month was it in the original Roman calendar?
2. What was the name of the first “talkie,” which opened in New York in October 1927?
3. What is the date of Halloween?
4. Which famous British admiral died at the Battle of Trafalgar in October 1805?
5. The Great Cumbrian Run took place on which date in October this year?
6. What was the name of the first satellite put into space, launched by USSR in October 1957
7. Why might the German beer festival Oktoberfest be said to be misnamed?
8. What was the name of the poem written about the Crimean War, which began in October 1853?
9. What are the two star signs for October?
10. Which important battle took place in October 1066?
11. Which Hindu festival of lights takes place in October?
12. Which Greek tycoon married President Kennedy’s widow Jackie in October 1968?
13. Which items were banned by law from food outlets on 1st October this year?
14. Which Beatle was born in October 1940?
15. What is the name of the festival held in Mexico on the last day of October, celebrating departed loved ones?
16. Who ‘sailed across the ocean blue’ in October 1492?
17. What is October’s birthstone?
18. Which French Queen, who said “Let them eat cake,” was executed in October 1793?
19. Disney World in Florida opened on 1st October in what year? Was it a) 1961, b) 1971 or c) 1981?
20. Which British actor played a Russian submarine captain in the 1990 film The Hunt for Red October?