Skip to content

How care is funded

It costs £4.8 million to run Eden Valley Hospice and Jigsaw, Cumbria’s Children’s Hospice (figure correct for the financial year ending March 2023) with costs rising annually.

The majority of the care provided to local people – around 80 per cent – is funded by generous, voluntary donations from individuals, businesses and community groups. The other 20 per cent comes from NHS grants.

Meeting this annual fundraising challenge is a huge task, but thanks to the kindness and continued efforts of the community we’re proud serve, compassionate care has been provided at the hospice for more than 30 years.

Nurse on adult in-patient ward

The compassionate care provided by the hospice and other essential running costs are funded in a number of ways:

  • 32% of running costs were gifted by people who remembered the hospice in their will​
  • 42% of running costs are supported by fundraising, such as people making donations, taking part in events. shopping in our shops, and playing our lottery​
  • 20% of running costs are provided by NHS Grants​
  • 5% of running costs are provided by NHS contracts for additional services and care​
  • 1% of running cost is provided by investments

77p of every pound raised goes directly to providing patient care, the rest is spent on ensuring our buildings are warm and safe, vital support staff and investing in fundraising initiatives to raise further money. This means that for £1 the hospice spends on fundraising costs, we receive £3.15 back in income to give specialist care to families who need it.’

How your donation can make a difference

Eden Valley Hospice circle block icon.
Eden Valley Hospice love heart icon.
Eden Valley Hospice circle block icon.
Eden Valley Hospice is rated Good by CQC
Report day: 15 July 2016
See the report

Sign up to keep up to date with the latest news and announcements

Our regular newsletters contain all the info you need on what’s going on at the hospice and how you can support us